Friday 26 February 2016

UK 2016 - Dulcima - When You Go


So, it's the first proper UK final since something like the 1860s tonight, and I suppose I'd better pin my colours to the mast and pick a favourite. Although that's a trickier task than one would first imagine. Despite the initial novelty of having a batch of songs to choose from, they all turned out to be slightly different shades of the same vanilla.

One wouldn't begrudge Joe & Jake and their chirpy boy pop, while Darline seems to be wowing the betting fraternity. Bianca has the form to pull an interesting performance out of the bag, while the Lund fella is the dark horse, and will either burn bright or crash hard. And of course, we've already seen A Better Man around these parts, but the addition of matey boy from Bad Boys Inc may well swell his chances, as he's the only one on that stage tonight use to working a big hall.

But for me, I think I'd prefer Dulcima to bag it. Yes, I know, it's a bit of a rum do when I'm choosing a pair of nicey-nicey middle-class raggle taggle-buskers out of a field of six, but I fancy that unless they're cloyingly smug on stage (which is a big fear) they'll offer something that the rest of Europe wouldn't necessarily expect on that Saturday night in May, and may be the start of getting some slightly more interesting acts getting involved next year.

Although to be fair, I can't see too many of them reaching the lofty heights of the left-hand side of the scoreboard, anyway...

2 comments:

  1. Felt a bit flat on the night this one. Shame. And I was right about the smugness. Never mind, I think we made the right choice in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, the harmonies, which were perfect on the recording track, were not there.
    She sounded awful in the high notes, as if they were too high for her.

    ReplyDelete