Friday 19 February 2016

Slovenia 2016 - Nuša Derenda - Tip Top


You'll have to help me here. I can't decide if this is utterly fabulous or incredibly, painfully rubbish. I know you'll have an opinion. 

We like the girl Nuša in this parish. We had a couple of terrific nights out with her in Copenhagen back in 2001 (not that we're name dropping or anything), and she's a really good egg. But is a hi-nrg disco Bond theme really the kind of thing she ought to be revisiting old haunts with?

Even taking the singer out of the equation, there's a lot of me that enjoys this over-blown little number. The John Barry pastiche orchestration is both cheesy yet pretty well done, her voice, obviously, is pretty strong, with a lovely edge of maturity only enhancing her familiar power pipes. But that title. Oh that title. It's very in keeping with the recent run of near rhyming couplets that always make you cringe, no matter how good the actually song is. 

Oh I don't know. It's probably rubbish, but there's something about it that I just can't hate. I must be losing my touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment