Thursday 21 January 2016

Spain 2016 - Electric Nana - Now


Spain have taken a very unusual route (for Spain) this year, and offered up a final selection that actually reflects the kind of stuff that you're likely to hear in their local pop charts. I think I may have just fainted with the surprise a little bit there. And while there's no real world beaters among them, there some nice little attempts.

Salvator Beltrán provides a serviceable latino pop shuffle akin to locally favoured chartbusters like Estopa and the boy Iglesias, while Barei's Say Yay is a perky little stomper. But the one that's appealed to our ageing ear the most is this crunchy little gem. Now have the likeable sound of a decent Kelly Clarkson b-side, but for a Spanish Eurovision contender it's almost like the first days of punk rock. One would expect that it's goin nowhere in the contest, but if Nana chooses to rock it up a bit on the telly, it could be an unexpectedly amusing three minutes.

But we do have to talk about that name. It may only be we Brits that find it amusing, but around these parts Nana can mean one of three things: a cute name for a granny, the shortened form of banana, or a colloquial term for someone who's a bit of a fool. I'm kind of hoping it's the former, and she ascends to the stage on a stairlift in a sandy brown cardy and her hair in curlers - but I'm sure we all hope that it's not the latter.

Do you think she should be told?

3 comments:

  1. I'm really surprised you liked this. Or maybe I read wrong between the lines. I found this 2.5 minutes that not only felt too long, but quite boring and non-developing. It pretty much starts and ends at the same point. I even preferred the Swedish song Xuso Jones (I'm sure that was the name he was born with...) was singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't like it that much, Ido. I just wanted an excuse to take the mickey out of her name. Turns out that she's a real good sport though. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nana" in Spanish, as well as an endearing term for grannie as in English, actually mean a lullaby.

    ReplyDelete