Sunday 12 February 2017

Latvia 2017 - Up - One By One


Ooh, I do like a good murder ballad, and I fell a little bit in love with one tonight. Now I'd heard the song in recorded form a couple of weeks back, and thought it worthy of note, but wanted to wait until I saw it live before I passed it on to you lot. I was expecting some withery and wistful lass mumbling it out in does-eyed fashion. I wasn't expecting this.

Indeed, this more grown up lady with her terrifying stare captivated me from the very first seconds, as she kicked off with takes of retribution, and then got more and more hardcore as it went along, her fairytale voice belying the dark tone of the lyric.

And by the time she'd killed off her dancers and threatened anyone who ever crossed her again with a sticky end I was absolutely entranced. Like the irrepressible urge to thrust your hand into the viper pit, her wild eyes, threatening tone and glittery breasts lured me in, and by the end I was quite willing to be her next victim.

How the heck did those four middle aged men on the jury had the nerve to even look her in the eye, let alone comment on her song, I just don't know! Moment of the night, and I'm absolutely devastated that it never made the next stage. Although to be honest, it's probably for the best, safety wise.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason this reminds me of "Where The Wild Roses Grow"...

    That was about murder too!

    This sentiment is apt today - I suspect that some OGAE members fancy doing something similar to the Ukrainian ticketing people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know they've done a full-scale musical called "Lizzie" - the story of Lizzie Boarden - i thought this was perhaps the trailer for that show!!

    I'm in - i'' book front row seats for every night of it's three week West End run!!!

    ReplyDelete