Sunday 20 January 2019

Spain 2019 - Miki - La Venda



Whoa, hang about - Spain have sent something terrific tonight! Didn't see that coming!

When I first heard the OT songs back at the tail end of last year I instantly loved it, but assumed that either some mawkish frocky ballad or one of the diluted Fuego-alikes would be way ahead at the front of the queue. Then when I saw that the lad Miki was also lumbered with a duet I feared his vote would be diluted.

And even when he exploded onto the stage in the OT gala tonight I was pretty sure that he was singing entirely for my own delight and would be shuffling awkwardly down the bottom of the single-digit percenters when it came to scoring time. But heaven no - the crowd went absolutely doolally bonkers in the nut when he finished, and continued to yelp loudly every time the song was so much as hinted at.

Good lad!

And if you've not seen it yet, prepare yourself for a pleasant surprise. From the chummy in-the-crowd beginnings, to the top speed romp through (150bpm, I've been told) right through to the quaintly subversive anticapitalismo lyric, this is an unabashed party song that you can easily fall in love with.

But is it a winner? I suspect not. But who cares, because at least we'll have the one song that we can all leap about to like 'nanas in what already threatens to be an increasingly staid year.

But then again I never imagined that it would win tonight...

I'll tell you what though - they're going to be proper pooped in rehearsals!


1 comment:

  1. It is what it is. I can't say that it does anything for me. It's not fun, it's grating.

    ReplyDelete