Sunday 25 January 2015

Latvia 2015 - Atis Ieviņš - Catfish


Oh my good heavens, what have we here! I'm not sure whether clap my hands with delight or hide behind the sofa. On the face of it, this is the first bit of decent rock'n'roll rock of the 2015 season - even though it sounds as though it's played by session men who've never had a go at a metal song before.

It churns straight in with its Steel Panther-strength shout-a-long whoa-whoas, before kicking on to some delightfully ludicrous vocal nonsequiturs about how smelly catfish are. Is he singing about the internet phenomenon of pretending to be an adonis to chat people up on Facebook, or is he actually singing about fish? I DON'T KNOW!!!

But it gets sillier and sillier until the crescendous chanting of the word 'stinky' reaches full metal extremity, while xylophones tinkle along over the crunching chug. It's, erm, brilliant, erm, utter rubbish... I can't decide! Maybe a little of each. It appears to be written by Ralfs Eilands of PeR, so there must be some element of cheeky wink involved, but I can't wait to see what they do with it live, and it's suddenly made me very glad that I'm going to the Latvian final this year!

1 comment:

  1. Fair to say the (lack of any) staging on the live show let this down.

    ReplyDelete